I know yet another Breakfast and Brunch recipe however I could not wait to share this Southwestern Breakfast Bowl. Not only is this a fully loaded breakfast but it’s also under 400 calories, high protein and high fibre. Sweet potato and black beans are a classic combination and two of my favourite ingredients. They pair well together and are really the stars in this recipe.
For the last of couple months, I’ve been reducing my calorie intake in order to lose some fat. Eating low calorie and high protein meals that I enjoy has been key. This Southwestern Breakfast Bowl is packed full of nutritional dense, low calorie ingredients so you get a lot of food in a serving. Which is great because as much as I want to lose fat, I also want to feel full-up.
The complex carbohydrates from the sweet potato and black beans are perfect for providing energy throughout the morning. Not to mention the high fibre carbs and veggies are fantastic for keeping hunger at bay on a diet. Beans, eggs and turkey bacon add protein to this breakfast bowl which also help to curb hunger until the next meal. This breakfast recipe ticks all the boxes, when it comes to healthiness as well as taste.
This recipe is perfect for meal prep as you get a few serving and the components reheat well in the microwave. I made this dish accompanied with turkey bacon and scrambled eggs but you can easily put your own spin on this recipe. You can swap out the turkey bacon with pork rasher,s plant based bacon or sausages. You can also switch the scrambled egg for with fried or boiled egg or chickpea scramble if you prefer too. I absolutely love this breakfast so if you give it a try let me know in the comments!
Sweet Potato Bites
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (or 420g sweet potato)
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- olive oil spray
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 tsp EACH smoked paprika and cumin
- ½ chilli powder, optional
- 200ml vegetable stock
- olive oil or olive oil spray
- lean breakfast meat of choice: turkey bacon, lean bacon medallions, chicken sausages
- 4 portions of scrambled eggs or boiled eggs
- 80g spinach
- 160g cherry tomatoes
- coriander and spring onion
- salt & pepper
Sweet Potato Bites (Oven Method)
- Preheat an oven to 200°C
- Peel and dice sweet potato in bite size pieces. Place sweet potato in a roasting tray. Then season them with paprika, pepper and salt. Add oil as needed.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
Sweet Potato Bites (Air Fryer Method)
- Preheat an airfryer to 180°C
- Peel and dice sweet potato in bite size pieces. Place sweet potato in a bowl and season with paprika, pepper, salt and olive oil.
- Cook sweet potato in for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Whilst the sweet potato is roasting. Heat olive oil in a saucepan.
- Fry onion and minced garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Add black beans, paprika, cumin and chilli to the saucepan and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and allow black beans to cook through. Mash of portions of the beans using a spoon to create a creamy texture.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Boil or scramble eggs to your preference. Cook breakfast meats.
- Divide sweet potato bites, black beans, breakfast meats and eggs between bowls or meal prep containers.
- Serve with chopped spinach, cherry tomatoes, spring onion and coriander.
Nutrition information is based on the exact ingredients and quantities used to create the recipe which can be used to estimate calorie and macronutrient content of similar recreations.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 8gCarbohydrates: 49gProtein: 32g