Packed with Omega-3 fats and over 40 grams of protein, this Salmon Sushi Bowl is a satiating heart healthy meal. Personally Sushi has always been a go-to work lunch because not only is it tasty but it also tends to be more nutritious and less heavy than other on-the-go lunch options. Plus I really love the unique fresh flavours, textures and the sheer variety of sushi rolls you can get. Unfortunately there aren’t really any Japanese or Sushi restaurant local to me and I’ve been really craving fresh sushi. Whilst there are plenty of YouTube tutorials on how to make your own sushi rolls at home, a sushi bowl is a much easier way to get your sushi fix.
Salmon is the star of this sushi bowl. It’s a fantastic fish to include in your diet. It’s a great source of cardio protective polyunsaturated fats as well as vitamins A, D, E and K. I love salmon because it has a unique delicate flavour and flaky texture. If you also love salmon, check out these delicious Spiced Salmon Tacos. What I also love about salmon is how quick and easy it is to prepare and cook. Just whip up a simple marinade like the Ginger Soy one in this recipe and place the salmon in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. It’s just as quick as ordering in a takeaway but much more satisfying!
The salmon in this sushi bowl is complemented with avocado, edamame beans, sesame seeds and white rice. Avocados and sesame seeds provide even more healthy fats to this meal. Whilst the edamame bean boost the protein content. Feel free to swap out the white rice in this sushi bowl for a less processed grain such brown rice or wild rice. You can even make this bowl low carb or keto by using cauliflower rice. Finally I topped the Salmon Sushi Bowl with a creamy, spicy Sriracha Mayo. This is a truly tasty low effort meal that you can pull together in less than 30 minutes, give it a try and let me know your thoughts.
Ginger Soy Salmon
- 2 fillets of salmon
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp (low salt) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey (or sugar free alternatives)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- ¼ coarse black pepper
- a pinch of salt
- a couple sprays olive oil
- ½ sriracha or hot sauce
- ½ tsp rice or white vinegar
- ½ tsp (low sodium) soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp light mayonnaise
- ½ cup white rice
- 100g edamame beans
- 1 baby avocado
- 1-2 spring onions
Ginger Soy Salmon
- Preheat an oven at 180°c/350°f (160°c/320°f fan oven)
- Place salmon fillets on a lined baking tray. You may want to spray some olive oil on the tray to prevent the salmon from sticking to it.
- In a small bowl mix together minced ginger, soy sauce, honey, garlic, black pepper and salt. Evenly coat your salmon in the marinade mixture.
- Cook the salmon in the oven for 10-15 minutes. The salmon should flake easily with a fork when cooked.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on salmon fillets.
- Whilst the salmon is baking, wash and cook the rice according the package instruction.
- Prepare and slice the avocado and spring onions.
- In a small bowl combine all the sriracha mayo ingredients: sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce and light mayonnaise.
In serving bowls, spoon out half of the rice, edamame beans, spring onion and avocado. Layer the Salmon on top and finish by drizzling on the Sriracha Mayo.