As much as I love Protein Pancakes and Protein French Toast for an at home breakfast or brunch. My go-to combination for breakfast on a busy weekday has to be a yoghurt bowl (or fruit parfait, if you’re fancy). They are super simple, quick and tasty. Plus it’s perfect for on the go or for a packed breakfast.
There are so many different fruit, nuts and cereals flavour combinations you can try to vary up your usual breakfast bowl. One of my recent favourites is this autumn inspired yoghurt bowl; the slightly tart sweetness of the plum combined with juicy fresh berries, crunchy granola and a healthy serving of blueberry jam.
I use high protein yoghurt such as Greek Yoghurt or Skyr or Quark for my breakfast bowls as it is perfect for fueling my workouts and keeps me full for pretty much the whole morning. I also love using plums and berries because they are packed full of micronutrients; vitamins and antioxidants, sweet and light on calories. This dish is healthy but feels like your eating dessert for breakfast with very little effort.
The Blueberry Chia Jam is a great alternative to high sugar, calorie dense syrups . It super simple to make but exponentially improves this yoghurt bowl. I’m also looking forward to using this jam on rice cakes, toast and of course pancakes!
Blueberry Chia Jam (Makes 3-4 servings)
- 120g frozen blueberries or other seasonal berries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1-2 tbsp sweetener stevia, sugar, maple syrup
- 200g yoghurt
- ½ tsp vanilla or almond extract
- ½ plum
- ¼ cup berries
- granola of your choice
Blueberry Chia Jam
- Cook frozen blueberries on a low heat for 10-15 minutes. The blueberry should soften and disintegrate quite a bit. Use a spoon to "mush them up" and create a more jammy texture.
- Once cooked take of the heat and add lemon, juice, chia seeds and sweetener. Then allow to cool.
- Dish out yoghurt in a bowl or serving dish. Optional: Mix in almond/vanilla essence to yoghurt.
- Layer fruits, granola and about ⅓-¼ of the chia jam on top of the yoghurt.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 4.5gCarbohydrates: 49.6gProtein: 27.6g
Nutrition information is based on the exact ingredients and quantities used to create the recipe which can be used to estimate calorie and macronutrient content of similar recreations