I love Mexican and South American inspired dishes. I can’t pinpoint what exactly it is about this cuisine that does it for me – all I know is that I really enjoy the combination of ingredients, flavours and spices. (If you also love Mexican inspired recipe check out this delicious Salsa Fresca Avocado Toast or these tasty Spiced Salmon Tacos.) This Mexican Inspired Breakfast Hash is actually based on this One Skillet Breakfast Hash from Chelsea’s Messy Apron. I highly recommend trying the original recipe as it also absolutely delicious. However after making that recipe a few times, I thought I do a spin on it by adding avocado and Tex Mex herbs and spices.
What’s not to love about this Mexican Inspired Breakfast Hash recipe? It’s packed full of protein from the egg white, lean sausage and bacon. It also provides a healthy source fats from the avocado and egg yolks. This recipe includes a tasty selection of vegetables; potatoes, peppers and avocado but you can also add your favourite veggies to this dish. Excellent addition you can make to this dish include beans, cooking greens or non-starchy veggie like mushrooms, courgettes and aubergines.
This Mexican Inspired Breakfast Hash is perfect for meal prep as you can easily be scale up the recipe and make it in advance for the rest of the week. To make this meal perfect for “on-the-go” by switching out the fried egg for boiled egg or omelet and the diced avocado with guacamole. I like to top mine with a drizzling of hot sauce to boost the spice and flavour. However if you don’t like spice then a mild salsa or a light sour cream will do just as nicely.
- 2-4 lean chicken or turkey sausages*
- 4 slices lean bacon medallions or turkey rashers
- 1 large potato
- ½ onion diced
- 2 small bell peppers diced
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli flake
- a pinch salt & pepper
- cooking spray oil
- 1 avocado diced
- 2 eggs fried or boiled
- Thoroughly wash the potato and use a fork to prick the skin. Place the potato on top of a kitchen towel on microwavable dish. Place dish in the microwave and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side
- Whilst the potato is cooking in the microwave, prepare the rest of the meat and veggies. Heat a frying pan on medium-high temperature and spray with cooking oil. Slice the sausage and bacon into bite size pieces and add to the frying pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until meat starts to brow then set aside in a bowl for later.
- Spray frying pan with more oil if needed then add diced onions and peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Dice cooked potato then add then to the vegetables. Cook for a further 4-5 minutes, until the potatoes should start to crisp up. Then add the spices and meat to the frying pan. Cook for another couple of minutes then remove from the heat.
- Serve topped with egg, diced avocado and coriander.
The amount of sausage needed for the recipe is dependant on the size and nutrient density of the sausages you're using. I like to use 4 of the Heck Chicken chipolata sausages which are quite lean and high protein.
Serving Size:1 Serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 23.5gCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 29g
Nutrition information is based on the exact ingredients and quantities used to create the recipe which can be used to estimate calorie and macronutrient content of similar recreations.