Made with yummy ripe bananas, rich indulgent dark chocolate and satiating wholemeal flour, these Banana Choc Chip Protein Pancakes are a satisfying pre- or post-workout breakfast. I love me some Protein Pancakes however it’s always nice to switch it up once in awhile. Variety is the spice of life and let’s just say I like spice a lot. So that’s where these delicious Banana Choc Chip Protein Pancakes come into play. This high carbohydrate, high protein recipe is a fantastic meal for fuelling an intense workout. Or supporting your recovery after a hard training session.
Bananas are a truly amazing ingredient. They add moisture and flavour to recipes making them a great plant-based, low-fat substitute for butter/cream. Bananas are also highly nutritious; they are packed with nutrients, antioxidants and fibre. Bananas are a great food for workouts because they contain easily digestible carbs. To make one serving of these pancakes I used one medium sized ripe banana. Half the banana is mashed to create the pancake batter whilst the other half is used to top the pancake.
Who doesn’t love chocolate? Whilst I know there are few (crazy) individuals that don’t, I think the majority of (sane) people do. Whilst chocolate can be quite unhealthy due to the high amount of sugar and saturated fat in them, dark chocolate and cacao tends to be the healthier chocolate options. This is because chocolate with a high cocoa content tend to have less sugar, less fat and more antioxidants. I used dark chocolate chips for this recipe but you can swap them cacao nibs to make this recipe vegan friendly. These pancakes are also topped with more chocolate. Recently I’ve been loving Sweet Freedom’s Choc Spread which is low calorie, plant-based alternative to your typical chocolate spread.
- 1 banana (½ for the batter the rest for topping)
- 1 egg
- 80ml milk or milk alternative
- 75g self-raising whole wheat flour
- ½ protein powder
- 1 tsp sweetener (optional)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tbsp dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- olive oil spray
- topping: banana slices, dark chocolate spread, dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs & nut butter
- Mash half the banana in a bowl or measuring jug then whisk together the egg, milk and sweetener.
- Add the dry ingredient to the mixture: flour, protein powder and baking powder.
- Mix until the you have a smooth batter.
- Heat a non-stick pan on a medium heat. Add few spray cooking oil to the pan
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter in the pan. Cook the bottom until it becomes a light golden brown colour. You'll know when to flip the pancake as bubbles will appear and the edges will become slightly crisp.
- Flip the pancake to cook the other side. Remove the pancake from the pan when the other side is golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the pancake batter.
- Top with your choice of toppings
Serving Size:4 Pancake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 615Total Fat: 17gCarbohydrates: 96gProtein: 32g
Nutrition information is based on the exact ingredients and quantities used to create the recipe which can be used to estimate calorie and macronutrient content of similar recreations.